Confused About EV
A big question we get asked is what is classed as a standard EV installation. As the rules and regulations change all the time it can be quite confusing as to what standard practice is. So, I am going to write this blog to help you. When you have picked which EV charger you would like, you will then be able to get your accurate quote. The reason for this is that different EV chargers have different functions and capabilities some have Wi-Fi, and some work from a sim card, some have CT dynamic load management, and some do not. I will explain all this in more detail later.
Picking An EV Charger
With there now being over 92 home chargers on the market picking an EV charger can be very confusing! In our opinion, there are too many chargers on the market now. This will level out soon. But when picking a charger, you need to think about a few things. Such as where is the charger going to go, and does it need to be Wi-Fi or work from a sim card. The sim card option is great for when there is no local Wi-Fi, or the Wi-Fi modem is far away. As a company we are very careful about what chargers we will fit, all our chargers on our website are tried and tested. We will only fit chargers that we know have good technical support and aftercare as this is a massive thing to consider when getting a charger fitted. As an installation company, we are most likely to get a call if something goes wrong. Another point to add is that due to new regulations as of 31/12/22, all chargers must be smart chargers, and we can no longer install non-compliant chargers. We also now fit surge protection as standard this will be done via a mini consumer unit and splitting the main head which is usually where your meter is also.
Standard EV Installation
- Fitting of the EV charge point on a brick or plaster wall, or to another suitable permanent structure.
- Fitting an SPD-protected consumer unit with Henley blocks.
- The EV charge point must be fixed to the main property and able to utilize the property’s earthing arrangement, (the property’s earthing arrangement must meet current regulations – we are required to check this by law)
- Up to 10 meters of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity distribution board/consumer unit and the EV charge point.
- Surface mounting of cable – i.e., no conduit or chasing (no running through ceiling voids/across suspended ceilings/underneath floorboards)
- Up to 3/4 Hours of fitting time.
- Routing of the cable through a drilled hole in one wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick, if this is needed.
- The EV charge point must be in your designated off-street parking area and be fixed at a height where it can’t be hit by a Vehicle. No higher than 1.8 meters (6 feet) above the ground.
- The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the EV charge point.
Booking An EV Survey
Once you have chosen a charger, we will book you in for a survey. This will be a remote survey unless a more in-depth survey is needed, or it is a commercial job. Then we will do an in-person survey with one of our specialist surveyors. We can do the remote survey via WhatsApp or video call depending on what is easiest for you, we will do this at a time that is convenient for you. Upon completion of a survey, we will send out a fixed quote. When we completed the survey we will be making sure there is nothing that is nonstandard that could affect the length or complexity of the installation.
Acceptance of EV Quote
Upon acceptance of the quote, we will then take a deposit or we can offer finance from Kanda and ship the charger directly to your address. When the survey is completed we will then take care of a DNO notice which needs to be done for these reasons click here. If it is not completed the EV charger can be taken out by the DNO. When the DNO notice is completed, we will book an installation date that suits both of us. Usually, we work on about a 2-week turnaround, from DNO approval to installation. But we can also install it at a later date to suit any of your needs.
Let’s talk EV aftercare, a massively important part of sales is aftercare. This is not talked about enough. When something goes wrong you can rest assured you can count on us to be there. Our reviews show this. Most of the problems you will have will always mostly be down to Wi-Fi or firmware updates but we are always on hand to help you the same way we were from the first point of contact. If you would like to book a survey today please click here, or contact us at: email@example.com
#evcharger #evcuk #ev #evc #evlondon #london #hampshire #surrey #guildford #hypervoltev #zappi #evinstaller #hypervolt #homecounties #evprojects #evinstallersnearme